Kardeslerim Episode 19 Review "Back to the Coop"

Recap
Kizlar, we did it, we all survived hiatus to return for season 2. I kept my expectations LOW for this episode because the last few were not that great, in my opinion... and ended up enjoying this. There were some iffy editing choices with scene length. I imagine they were trying to get everything in. Neyse, Doruk confronts Akif who has no shame... then Akif confronts Tolga who also has no shame. Kadir gets out of jail and ends up BACK in the chicken coop *pause for significant eye rolls* with his siblings. Asiye and Doruk break up because somehow Tolga is doing what no adult in the show was able to do and blackmail Akif. Also, they are really trying to make AyBer happen... 
 Bullet Points
-Doruk and those white pants... usually when I see white pants on anyone but Ilhan Sen I think of this little gem. Seeing Doruk in them was no different.
-Looks like during the break the camera people worked on their camera angles and someone instructed Doruk and Asiye to hug like normal people without coats and backpacks on. Bravo. 
-Akif is still a bastard. I still love him.
-Ooohhh, look at Ms. Sengul getting a taste of her own bitter medicine. Yep, she didn't like that but I certainly did.
-Is Ahmet Omer's birthdad? I HOPE HOPE HOPE so. I think we'll see this couple again particularly since they seemed so interested in Emel.
-The Atakuls got a completely different house and no one mentioned it. Did they think we would not notice? But the ERENS STILL HAVE TO LIVE IN THE COOP... YETER!
-A lot of foreshadowing happening in this episode. Akif will commit suicide before going to jail. Doruk will love Asiye all his life even when they break up. Harika and Suzan Hanim always being poor.
-THE NERVE of Suzan Hanim to go to Omer for money... I can't.
-The security at these Turkish Dizi hospitals is so lax.
-How it TOLGA the only person in this whole show who can get Akif to do his will? Akif went up against Sengul's brother and some random blackmailer dude. He went up against Sengul. He went up against Nebahat. He went up against Suzan Hanim... you're telling me a little psychopath like Tolga can push him around. Writers, please!
-Ya'll I am trying to get on board with KadMel but they STILL bore me. HELP! 
-Why is Aybike helping anyone with homework? Didn't they establish last season that she is not good in school? 
-Nebahat talking about Allah better be very careful because karma is not kind... though I'm not sad about Suzan Hanim's discomfort because I kind of hate her.
-Hahahahahah! That chair breaking under Harika was the best part of the entire episode. I will die on this hill. 
-The CGI in this episode is truly laughable. CGI Kite above prison, CGI Emel on the roof. 
-Welp, the breakup montage was a bit underwhelming but I support Asiye. Even though Akif 'undid' all the harm he did with the whole framing thing (and the Erens ended up ahead in terms of material wealth, and they made a friend along the way) Doruk showed that if the comfort of his family is involved... he will choose that over honesty and the well being of Asiye's family. He's a teenager so I don't know that I entirely blame him, but Asiye doesn't know any of that and would have broken up with him for keeping THAT secret anyway. So give me angsty breakup any day.
-Loving the addition of Cemile. At first I was unconvinced that yet ANOTHER white girl with dark hair and eyes was what I wanted to see on Kardeslerim, but they introduced her in a very cool way and I see lots of potential for disruption.
-Ha! Omer teasing Emel about burning the money is all of us. Also, seriously RENT A HOUSE. HIDE THE MONEY. DO NOT LET SENGUL SEE IT!!!
Thoughts and Predictions
-So, it looks like they got rid of a lot of the side characters (Ayse, Mazlum, maybe Talya and Susie? Selim?) that I didn't love, but it IS a first episode so some of them may come back. With the addition of new characters it is hard to know how they'll fit all the school scenes particularly since Tolga has joined the main cast.
-This Berk/Aybike situation is a BIG no from me. "Sweet Berk" is annoying and there was no actual redemption ark. The writers are simply rehashing all the plot points from the Asiye/Doruk romance and it feels hollow to me. They also used the horrible devise of bringing in someone even more evil (Tolga) to mitigate guilt by comparison. 
-I'm intrigued by the possibility of having Omer's birth dad be a major plot point this season. I was taking receipts when Suzan Hanim said he was Ahmet and do not think the guy who lost a daughter and visiting the orphanage is a coincidence. 
-This windfall of cash worries me because if I know Kadir--and I do--he's going to be offering to pay for things that he has no business paying for. He's going to let Sengul take advantage of him. He's going to make piss poor choices and those kids are going to stay in that chicken coop for all time. 
-Now lets talk breakup. AsDor is why a majority of us are watching (and fell in love with) the show initially. Their storyline is still the most compelling. This season it looks like they are giving Doruk more difficult scenes and more moral dilemmas. I don't know about his acting skills yet, so I don't know if Onur has the power to carry these scenes, but I'm excited to see. The story WILL switch focus to show Doruk's conscience bother him and I believe he'll uncover more of his father's secrets. Maybe not the murders, but the affair with Suzan Hanim and certainly some shady business dealings. He'll also be torn with the reality of profound feelings for Asiye, but a sense of shame and guilt in her presence. As well he should. The addition of Kaan (the potential half brother) to this scenario could be amazing if handled correctly. I'm even down for a love triangle when I was adamantly against it earlier. 
-Overall, I am PUMPED for the new season. This episode gave me hope that they will have more focused fan service (ie, planned not hastily thrown together) this season which will make the storylines more cohesive. 
-Neyse, Happy Watching!









Comments