Evolution of a Ladybug

 Ladybug's first day at home... so confused with remnant of sticky hair bow.
                      Ladybug's blessing day. Frilly pink dress and attentive Beardocrat.
       Just showing the world how to look this good while swathed in layers of tulle. She rocks it.

I am an only girl. I played with trucks, in the mud, and despised personal grooming. Despite my love of cocktail dresses and pedicures, I still consider myself a 'not very feminine' female. When I got pregnant with the world famous Squirmy I really hoped for a boy. When I got pregnant with Ladybug, I also wanted a boy. I can recall the ultrasound revealing the gener and the Beardocrat and I were like, "Meh". You could tell the ultrasound tech was surprised and felt bad for poor, unborn, Ladybug.

I wish I could describe the metamorphosis. From utter fear and a 'what am I going to do with her' mentality, to liking her oh, so much. Having a little girl is just different from having a little boy. Both the Beardocrat and I agree. Little Ladybug is not super affectionate (unlike unto Squirmy who begs for cuddles) and one day the Beardocrat said in exasperation, "I just want to cuddle my little girl!" but she was busy arching her back and trying to get away from him. :)

Part of the reason I feel I relate to Ladybug differently is that I suppose I understand what her life might be like, being a girl myself. Now, I don't know if she will be like me, at this point she doesn't seem to have many of my personality traits, but who knows? But I feel like certain events that will take place in her life, are events that have already taken place in mine, and I will be able to relate to her in a way that I won't be able to relate to Squirmy. Maybe it is her sweetness, or the whole sugar and spice thing, but our whole family seems to gravitate to Miss Ladybug to shower her with kisses, cuddles, and to make her smile and laugh.

Comments

Wendy said…
Now that I have a boy, I understand just how different boys are from girls. Caleb is my cuddly, calm baby. My girls would not cuddle at all and were/are stress balls.
Nathan said…
I only have a girl, but I love her dearly. Isn't it interesting how easy it is to make room in your heart for these little creatures?

If we manage to have a boy, I'll have to remember this post because right now, I would be comfortable with all girls.