Christmas Carol it Ain't

What has me so incensed that I would use the colloquialism ain't, you ask? Well, Christmas is upon us, which I adore, by the way. But now the Christmas music is ALSO upon us, and trust me, not all Christmas music is created equal. Here I am mentally referencing that God forsaken 8 month period when my roommates played the 98 Degrees Christmas album throughout the entire 8 months rain or shine. Alas, moving on. One song that I often hear at Christmas time annoys (I had infuriates typed up here, but that is far too strong a word) is "My Favorite Things" via that classic musical The Sound Of Music.

Not only is this song NOT a Christmas song, I can't even determine how it came to BE a Christmas song. Initially, in the original stage production, this song is sung by Maria to Mother Superior when she is leaving to be a governess. Most people are more familiar with the movie version where she sings it to calm the children during a thunder storm. In no instance does this song take place at Christmas or even in Winter. Let us dissect the lyrics.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens -no illusion to Christmas here
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens - mittens, not solely worn during Christmas
Brown paper packages tied up with strings - she says 'packages' not GIFTS, people
These are a few of my favorite things
Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels -nothin'
Door bells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles - sleighs are how they got around
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings -nothing Christmassy here
These are a few of my favorite things
Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes - nope
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes - this references winter
Silver white winters that melt into Springs - ah, but we move away into Spring
These are a few of my favorite things
When the dog bites - No
When the bee stings - Also no
When I'm feeling sad - Who knows?
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad.

So please, strike this one from your Christmas Carolling List. In a related story. A few weeks ago The Beardocrat and I were watching some previews. Along came a preview for a Christmas movie and the Beardocrat muttered, "Man, Christmas is in peril a LOT." I agree.

Comments

Holly said…
Thank you! It is most definitely NOT a Christmas song and I don't know how it ever sneaked its way into the canon. If we are going to let that song in, we should also let in "Not About Love" by Fiona Apple, because I love that music video. I am generally annoyed by most Christmas music, and there is just a smattering of tunes I can stomach for a whole month. Perhaps Mr. W. should help us out on that with his monthly playlist. Just an idea that I would definitely Facebook and blog the heck out of. Also, we should have another triple date, and this time, decorate gingerbread houses.
J.F. said…
Cream-colored ponies play a large part in my family's Christmas traditions. Also, we make sure to wrap all the packages we are giving each other in brown paper and string. Last year I got Wendy some warm woolen mittens, and this year I plan to get her some kitten whiskers. So yeah, its totally a Christmas song. (on a related note, do you know where I can harvest me some kitten whiskers?)
Karen E. said…
Now that song is stuck in my head! And I completely agree with Beardocrat about the lame Christmas movies.
Casey said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Casey said…
Well, I think the whole Christmasness of this song relates to the geese. Once you KILL the wild goose, flying with the moon on its wings, you get the most traditional Christmas food of all. So denying that geese are Christmassy is tantamount to denying that Turkeys are Thanksgivingy. It simply isn't true.

And of course we all know that all little girls want cream colored ponies for Christmas.
smithfieldman said…
I never knew this was a Christmas song. Never ever. My Top Three Christmas Movies: Elf. Die Hard and Christmas Vacation.
Amy said…
I refute your "Favorite Things" to give you: "CHRISTMAS SHOES." Worst song ever, Christmas or not.
Tracy said…
This is SO funny because as my friend and I were shopping this weekend we heard this song come on and I brought up the same thing. Why did they choose this random song from a musical to be a Christmas song? Honestly. I mean... few of my favorite things... is it supposed to make you buy more for Christmas? I can't figure it out.
The Rage said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Rage said…
I hate the Sound of Music and therefor hate that song. Good thing I never knew people tied it in with Christmas or I might have hated Christmas too and that would have been sad like dog bites and bee stings. Wow, I hate that song.
Nathan said…
Christmas music can be great, but there are a ton of songs out there that turn me into my own version of Scrooge.

I may get burned in effigy for this, but I can't stand Paul McCartney's Wonderful Christmastime.

*shudder*